Tuesday, October 10, 2017

Size Matters

Or maybe I should say length matters.

I am a new teacher on SkillShare.com, and my first course,  Beginner Glass Mosaics is live on the SkillShare website. Since I'm new at this teaching business, I had no idea what I was doing. Don't get me wrong, I know how to mosaic, but filming, voiceover, editing, and posting it all online in a captivating course is a totally different thing.

As it turns out, no one wants to watch someone grout for 20 minutes. My course was long and boring. Fortunately, SkillShare will let you edit a course after it's published. I was able to ask for some tough love feedback from friends and other teachers, and I took my class from 44 minutes down to 24 minutes!

My videos are much shorter and concise. They have less pauses and repetitive information, and the course is overall a faster pace. Yay for me! Thanks to some great feedback and honesty. Sometimes you have to take the bitter pill.

Yes, size does matter. In this case, shorter is better!

No comments:

Post a Comment