Sunday, September 6, 2009

The Top of the Box...

Stage One...













Yesterday, after opening an early Christmas/birthday gift from my dear friend in California - see the tools pictured in the background of the photo? He bought me my own nippers, a glass cutter, and some running pliers. (I was using borrowed nippers). Also a GREAT ceramic coffee mug so I can drink coffee from a creative mug while I work . :0}

After my mom and I listened and watched the same friend play the Warsaw Concerto (From the movie Dangerous Moonlight, 1941) over iChat - the Warsaw Concerto is my mom's favorite piece of music and my friend has been learning it for her for months. He is an amazing pianist and brought my mom to tears.

And, after visiting with my daughter and granddaughter for a bit, picking up my 15 year old daughter and her friend, and making a run to the store to buy oil for my glass cutter, and some Titebond glue, I was finally ready to begin my jewelry box project.

As I said I would, I took the top off of the box, covered the mirror side with newspaper, and taped off the edges. I also used a light sandpaper to ruff up the surface so it would be easier for the glue to grab hold.

I was just going to type the words "Stage Two" when I realized I probably should have taken a photo of my drawing. What I was about to call Stage Two is actually more like Stage Three.

Stage Two...
I drew my design on a piece of drawing paper, and since I don't have any transfer paper right now... which would be a great idea by the way, I cut my drawing into sections and traced the sections onto the lid of the box.

Stage Three...

I then started cutting my glass and gluing the pieces in place. I was a bit frustrated with myself because it has been tough to get the hang of my new glass cutter (the tool at the top left of the photo). Like everything, I have to jump into doing something complicated like cutting curved flower petals. It's not easy!!

To use the glass cutter, you have to hold the cutter straight up, or perpendicular to the table, apply firm pressure, run the carbide blade on the glass in the shape you want, and then snap the glass with the running pliers (yellow handled tool). Let me tell you, it takes some practice! One nice thing about mosaics is that you can always use the scrap pieces of glass for another project!

Another difficult task is keeping my cat Shady from sitting right in the middle of my project. He has to have his nose in EVERYTHING! I had trouble even taking these photos. I would have posted a photo with him in it except that he is black, and it's tough to get a shot of him that doesn't look like a black blob. Especially at night - I took these pictures at 11:30 pm.

I'll be working on this project all day today - stay tuned!

No comments:

Post a Comment